The Church of My Today and of My Tomorrow


What has happened to church?

Church. A word I’ve heard all my life. A place I’ve gone to my entire life. It isn’t unfamiliar to me. Yet, I find that the church of my today is very unfamiliar. Not because I’m stuck wanting the church of my past. Not because I’m not a forward moving and thinking person. Much to the contrary. It is an awareness that literally breaks my heart and casts an angry bend in my mind. Church has changed. And if it weren’t for this season in my life that forced me to become a seeker then I’d most likely still think church looked the same as it always has.

When you are forced to step outside of something that has always been familiar you literally get to see it from every known angle that exist. The outcome of this experience for me with church has cast a rude awaking to all of my senses. It has left me wondering if the church of today is in trouble. It has become a place I no longer recognize. It has literally caused me to question if a building, with a pastor, people and the same 'ole same 'ole is where I want to be.

So what has the church become? If I look at this topic of change simply from just my perspective of how my life changed and forced me to see the church from a different view then it could easily make sense. Let me pause and shed some light into this for you. I only ever...my entire life...experienced church from the viewpoint of a leadership position. I could only ever see church from one view. Now that I am no longer inside that view...for the first time...I’ve been looking into the church completely from the outside looking in. So there is a possibility that for many the church hasn’t changed. Because you too have only had one perspective. Either through the lens of leadership within the church or from the view of always being a member. Both views only allow you a single perspective. I believe and now can see that the only way to see church from outside this limited view is to become a seeker once again. Either your life changed and or you have had to find a new church. Death, divorce, relocation and many more ways force us to see church with fresh eyes. And so, we may then wonder what in the heck happened or we may see church just the same. For me...I see it so different and the church I knew in my previous position in life looks nothing like the church I now see from this point of view.

I guess now would be a great time to ask this question. What do you do when the church looks different? You still want to go...”to church”. But, you find yourself not wanting to go to the church you now see and experience. Wow!!! I feel like this is a loaded topic and unloading it can be very complicated. Possibly this writing will end up being in several sections. Ha!!!

Here’s the bottom line for this particular writing. For me personally...I’ve never walked through life without church being an instrumental part of that path. It was as if it just came with the package when I took my first breath. Maybe you relate...maybe you don’t. We each have such different experiences and that’s what I love about people and about life. I see the importance of church. I see the benefits it can add to our lives. From a Biblical point of view, I know the connection the church has inside the Christian Walk. For me this is a discovery. A place to learn from. A journey to find out how to see the church through a new lens. To see what the purpose of the church will be in my life going forward. Most importantly, what will my contribution now be to the church of my today and of my tomorrow.

Hang in there with me as I dissect this topic of The Church Of Today. I believe it could be an amazing journey to find a path of new discovery. And a tremendous reward of hope.

Journey with me as I uncover the church of my today and of my tomorrow. ©️

blessings....becka

Comments