~ Going Against Societal Ideals ~



Society says so many things to us everyday. Each moment we turn on the TV, step out of our homes, read articles, or just have daily conversation we are persuaded to believe what we hear and what is most popular within our culture.

A friend reminded me today that going against Societal Ideals will most likely mean we stand alone. Yet, how much happier could we be within our own joy if we did not force ourselves to live inside a life that matches up with what so many  BELIEVE we should be doing just for the sake of it being the popular option of our peers?

For the most part society says a woman who loves keeping a home, cooking meals, doing laundry, decorating and beautifying her space, staying home with her children is not working at her highest potential. That in order to be at her highest level of happiness she has to make a lot of money, be successful in a career, go back to school and eventually be making six figures. And on top of all that...balance everything about the home life. Oh and too...keep herself in shape and sexy all at the same time. Yikes!!! And we wonder why there is such a rise in chronic illnesses among woman. And why depression and divorce is at an all time high. The expectation that Societal Ideals have put on our shoulders is unbearable and is literally making us a society that is physically sick.

It is refreshing to me to know that there are still within our society those that desire a life where our roles are biblically lined up to how we were literally created by God. The nice thing about His creation is the fact that He purposely and so precisely made man and woman so different in our physical make up. And it's ok. We don't have to fight this or try and make it different. It is His creation and His idea of how it fits perfectly together to make such a flawless picture in doing life.


Since being thrown into a life of divorce where my roll has had to drastically change... this concept has taken on a different look. It has forced me to see the "other side of the coin". To realize and accept the fact that I am my own caretaker and I am my own provider now.  The truth is...I can quickly be thrown into a financial crisis  if I don't work a job. Which means without this job I don't eat or pay my bills. So...realistically because of living within a fallen world I am forced to step away from what my ideal of life is and take up a roll I believe I wasn't designed to take on. Do I believe this a huge controversial topic within our society? Yes. Does this mean that I believe woman shouldn't do anything to make money or go to school or be successful? No way!!!

I think it's wonderful to learn, get an education, have a job and do whatever you want to do. That's freedom. However, I do believe and see that there is not equal respect for the two opposite rolls that woman now take on. And that makes my heart sad.

I was one of those ladies within our society that as a married woman loved caring for my home, staying at home to raise my twins, worked "At Home" jobs to bring in extra money and created beauty and nurtured my family from this role. I actually never felt like I was doing without or needed something else to validate me during these years. I just loved this role and calling I was walking in.


Becoming single in my forties has brought about many new perspectives. Many new rolls for me. They've been frightening and at times exciting. They've been foreign and unsteady. I do believe that through this season I've been able to learn about myself in ways I would have never discovered me within the isolation of my Stay At Home years. I did love those years...the Stay At Home years. However, to become the woman who walks fully in her calling I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God has used these moments and these seasons to shape out who I'm becoming in order to move totally towards my true purpose.


Society can try and dictate who we should be or what the perfect woman should look like. But ultimately who we truly are is brought about simply by walking through each and every season of our lives with grace and dignity. For me it has been by loving each season no matter if it's an easy one or a devastating one.

It's so true...even in a fallen world with fallen ideals of what our rolls are...we can still persevere into a beautiful, successful, wealthy, healthy, creative, dynamic, confident, strong and Godly woman...doing this through many abilities and talents...jobs and careers. We truly are a blessed society with many choices to live full, creative and beautiful lives.

Many blessings
Becka ❤️

Comments